This will take you back to the "B" index page.
NAME: Berberich, Mechail or Michael (m. Sarah J. Cummings)
OBIT: Bulletin Journal, Independence, Iowa, 27 July 1897
M. Berberich, one of the early pioneer residents of Independence, died at three o'clock Friday afternoon, July 16, at the home of his daughter, Mrs. A. G. Mann, in Waterloo, of dropsy of the heart. Mr. Berberich was in his sixty-third year. His death was rather sudden and a surprise to his Independence friends, as it was but a few weeks ago that he was in this city renewing old acquaintances. Mr. Berberich came here in the early fifties before the log cabin had disappeared as a place of habitation. By his death passes away one more of the few who were here when what is now the most beautiful residence part of the city was a hazel brush patch. That part of our city lying north of Third street was a wilderness, and south of the Methodist church, then a very small frame building, was an unbroken patch of brush. The railroad had not come in competition with the stage coach, and wide gaps of daylight might be seen between the low wooden business houses on Main street. For a number of years after coming here he engaged in the business of tailoring, and for years conducted a hotel. Few traveling men who have made Independence during the past decade, but will remember his cheery "good morning," and the never-forgotten "did you sleep well?" that greeted their appearance after a night's rest under his roof. He was born in Martinshake, Bavaria, September 22, 1834. In 1853 he came to America, and two years later, in 1855, came to Independence, where the greater part of his life has been spent. He leaves two daughters, Mrs. A. G. Mann, of Waterloo, and Mrs. C. H. Ade, of Chicago, and one son, John Berberich, of Waterloo. The funeral services were held in Waterloo Saturday afternoon and the the remains brought here for burial beside those of his wife in Oakwood cemetery. Services were held here at the grave Sunday morning at 9 o'clock, conducted by Rev. C. J. Scovell, rector of St. James church. The pall-bearers were J. L. Winnegar, John Gorman, Fred Slotterbec, P. A. Sutkamp, A. F. Williams and Frank Brewer.
|contributed by Teresa Davis|